Sunday 9 July 2017

Do you support same-sex marriage?


Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?
Different answers from different people on gay marriage.
I don’t support gay marriage but I do support gay people getting married themselves.





Why?
Because legally, under the 14th Amendment of the United States of America, homosexuals are indeed citizens of America if they’re born in the country.
No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
When the homosexuals made their case on Obergefell v. Hodges at the Supreme Court, the 14th Amendment was invoked. The homosexuals won their argument and finally had their day in court.
Why are we not treating gay people, who were born in the United States, equally as we treat other citizens, who are straight? It logically doesn’t compute.

Consider for example if we had a citizen like Mr. Alan Turing being born in the United States today. Imagine him being the same self that served Britain in WWII building the prototype for Turingsmus. He helped, along with other scientists, crack the Enigma code and ended the war despite it being prolonged.
However, Mr. Turing, in his time, was caught having sex with a 19-year-old man who consented. The crime was buggery. He took estrogen pills and ended up killing himself.
Do you know how intelligent he was? Very intelligent. That intelligence is sorely needed across the United States. Imagine if we had 10% of gay people having been vastly intelligent and could contribute to the country as a whole. He died because his country would not support him. Do you know what his country did today?
Britain now commemorates Turing for his service in WWII. They even marked his own house and gave a historical plaque detailing a summary of their brilliant scientist. Also, the country apologized to Mr. Turing posthumously for having wrongly grieved him. You know what? That was the right step, albeit too late, to cure the rift between Turing and Britain.
Not only that, the Science World honors Turing as being the father of Computer Science. We also have the Imitation Game, a movie depicting the life of Alan Turing as he tried to develop a computer designed to crack the Enigma code.

Now, imagine today if gay people could marry themselves and do as they will. What they do behind their own doors is not ours to pry into, decry, and moralize the issue. It is not important. What’s important is that we actually shine a light on gay people who willingly commits these crimes.
Yasmin Lee, a transsexual performer, hasn’t been arrested for sexual assault. She hasn’t raped a man with her long schlong and yet she loves to perform for Kink Armory. She loves men and what does that make her today? Evil, vile, prolific sexual abuser? No, she is someone who’s trying to get by in life.
Today, she’ll be ridiculed by half or more of the religious population for being someone else with a mental illness. Homosexuality was considered a mental illness some time ago until it was classified as a sexual orientation.
I am not a homosexual but I do support the homosexuals’ right to marry per the 14th Amendment. That’s exactly how they won Obergefell v. Hodges. They should be granted that right, despite them being a minority.
 Aurelio Toren

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Absolutely, 100%. Because there's no good reason to forbid them the privileges that heterosexual couples get to enjoy.
Just because another person's romantic practices seem strange, or foreign, or even repulsive to the majority, does not give society the right to discriminate against them.
Patrick Mathieson


Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

I’m in favor of government policy that allows consenting adults to marry each other and enjoy the benefits (whether legal, tax, cultural, religious, personal or other) of marriage. It is not relevant in this analysis whether the people involved are of the same or opposite genders. So yes, this includes same-sex couples.
There has never been any compelling logical reason to treat same-sex couples differently from heterosexual ones when it comes to marriage policy. All of the arguments that people offer generally reduce to “I’m not comfortable with it.” Sometimes people try to justify that by pointing to various purported cultural traditions, or religious traditions, but you know what? A tradition is nothing more than behavior plus time. It’s just a thing people have done for a while. It doesn’t inherently deserve any deference.
Adam Nyhan


Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

I don't support it. The sexual orientation choice doesn't resonate with me.
I've been down both roads for sometime while growing up because I wanted to experiment. I was curious. And my curiosity lead me back to being straight. I felt and knew that being heterosexual is what I like and choose for myself.
And so, I don't agree with it. But I accept that the world has evolved so much that same sex marriages and relationships do exist.
I'm a Muslim, and despite my religion teaching us that homosexuality isn't the way, it also teaches love and respect for humanity. I have many homosexual friends and I respect and love them for who they are. The difference is that I don't agree with their sexual orientation. I don't discriminate against their humanity, I don't attack them (goodness I would never do that to anyone), and I certainly don't ridicule them for it. I love and cherish them as brothers and sisters.
To me, it's very simple. I like my steak medium cooked. Another person likes it medium well cooked. And another will want it off the BBQ grill altogether. At the end of the day, we all enjoy food :) To each their own with love and respect.
Best part is that I don't allow my own interpretation of Islam affect my relationships with people on this planet. And that's what many people, unfortunately, today have done.
So to my LGBTQ friends, I come in love and peace. Your choice is your choice. And so is mine. And so is yours.
I wish the world would think like that sometimes.
Khaled Ghorab

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Yes, I fully support gay marriage.
Why? Because it's the right thing to do. It is wrong to discriminate against a group of people simply because of some sort of religious ideology.
If two consenting heterosexual adults can marry, then any two consenting adults should have the same opportunity, regardless of sexual orientation. The sexual orientation of the people who are marrying has absolutely no impact of anyone else. It has no impact on anyone else's life, freedoms or rights. It really doesn't have any impact on society, with the exception that it would prevent people who oppose it from enforcing their own religious bias on others.

And yes I am gay. Whether same sex marriage becomes the law of the land has no bearing on my own life, as I personally will never marry. Yet I fully support it as the right thing to do for this and every other country.
Krystle Hannigan
Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Yes.
Interestingly, I also supported it as a concept as a Christian, because I didn't see the state handling of it as a religious issue (I did view homosexuality as a sin). We live in a secular state that provides us with freedom of and from religion. I've always thought that was a powerful and good concept/rule, and it's prevented America from being ruled by psychos of any type.

This means that the state can't endorse any religion. Seems pretty straightforward. All of the non-religious arguments against same sex marriage are rubbish; easily dispensed with. The religious ones are also rubbish in a secular state that already has marriage as a state run institution.

So the government only has two options: allow other consenting adults to get married, or simply get rid of marriage as a state run institution. Those are the only logical options given the problem constraints. As for people going on about state permitting a sin... Adultery isn't illegal...

Of course now that I'm a non theist, it's much easier. As a Christian at least you can push off responsibility for your homophobic bullshit onto your god. As an atheist, opposing it would be going out of your way to be an asshole.
Carlos Matias La Borde

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

I finally found words - yeah, I'm always late - to articulate why marriage equality matters and why I support it. I'm posting the link to those words here, on the 17th anniversary of the terrible thing that happened to Matthew Shepard in Laramie, WY.
Witnessing
Kim Raymoure, not straight, not gay, somewhere comfortably in the middle
Kim Raymoure

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

I strongly believe same sex marriage should be legal.
People are people, regardless of sexual orientation, and people who find love and want to commit to a lifetime together should have the same opportunity and legal protection as heterosexual couples.
Same sex marriage does not have any impact on traditional marriage, no matter what detractors say or what spurious arguments they concoct against it. There’s an “official sounding” organization that’s put out arguments against same-sex marriage, and all of their points revolve around the notion that traditional marriage exists only to promote having children and that all marriages should enforce traditional gender roles. They assume that when men and women marry they will always stay together to raise the children and provide those children with “appropriate” traditional male and female role models.

While a stable family is always a good thing, they appear to be far out of touch with the real world and put too much emphasis on a family having a traditional configuration. If followed to its logical conclusion, these people’s “facts” about same sex marriage would mean my own heterosexual but childless marriage is invalid.

There are two ways of looking at marriage: a social and legal construct with obligations, rights, and privileges or a religious bond. Legal same sex marriage focuses on the obligations, rights and privileges.

Making same sex marriage legal doesn’t force you to enter a same sex marriage, it merely allows others who love each other to make a commitment and be recognized in the eyes of the state as a couple. And if that couple adopts a child or had a child using a surrogate or other means, that child will be wanted, loved, and supported, which is more important than having parents of opposite genders.
Mary Couse


Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Maarten van den Driest, I'm gay. I got that going for me, I guess...
It would really help if OP explained his/her meaning. Probably, the real question is 'do you approve of or agree with gay marriages?'
I do.
Maarten van den Driest


Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Yes.

Because, for the life of me, I can't figure out why heterosexuality should give me privlages LGBT people can't have.
I'm from the church of "people should mind their own freagin business".
Noam Kaiser


Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Of course yes. I do so because there is no reason to not support it. Whatever be someone's sexual orientation,it is their personal choice. It is not for us to infringe on someone's happiness for the sole reason that we find it uncomfortable to our long held rigid, regressive views.
To stress this point,here's a quote I came across a few days ago. I don't remember who stated it.
"Getting irritated by gay marriage is the same as being pissed off because the guy standing behind you at a fast food joint did not order the same cheeseburger you did."
Everyone deserves the opportunity to lead a happy married life.
 "Marriage should be between a spouse and a spouse, not a gender and a gender."
So, I say,live and let live.
Aiyappa N Devaiah


Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

I support same-sex marriage because my Christian faith requires me to.
It’s a matter of ongoing shame that the leaders of my church chose to “keep the international church together”.
It’s also a matter of my faith that I’m not only allowed, but expected to challenge ecclesiastical decisions like that. [Let’s just say I’d make a very very bad Roman Catholic.]
So, I’ll continue to stand up in Church whenever the subject is debated and make the same arguments in favour… though to be honest, no-one really makes any arguments against any more.
Mark Harrison

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Yes.
In addition to the more principled answers I've given in other answers, I'll add a personal reason.  Back in college my wife and I each had roommates who later came out as gay.  They were very nice people.  Kitty's has been one of her best friends since 8th grade - and continues to be.  Why would I want any less for them than for us?
Ed Caruthers

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

I do.
I support same sex marraige because I believe that Lesbians, Gays and Bisexuals should be entitled with the benefits of marraige. They should be legally acknowledged as a couple. But the LGBTQ rights are not just about making laws to support them. As long as we people are going accept the fact that being one among the LGBT community isn’t a weird thing, the fight for equality will continue. The problem with LGBT rights isn’t that governments aren't framing laws to protect those people. Even third world countries have started framing laws to support them. Its very sad that my country, India, considers same sex marraige against the law. But the problem is that we humans arent ready to accept such people one among us. Despite so many laws being passed, most homosexuals are still entitled to abuse. That's the real fight. And this fight will continue until we see a world where every person is treated equally.
Praveen Benedict

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Is this a real question?
Why wouldn’t you support equality?
Hate against minority groups is a problem. Why? Because people are killed, raped, attacked, threatened, outcasted because of something they are born with: color of skin, sexual orientation…
People need to be more tolerant with others. People who are born gay won’t turn your child gay, because you know, they are born this way. Big news: It doesn’t spread like the flu.
There is a problem as long as people will be treated a different and won’t have the same rights.

Like they leave you being you and marrying who you want, let just them be them and marry who they want. It’s simple.
I fully support it, you should too.
Floriane Garnier

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Of course. Why? Because there's no good reason not to.
The best I've ever heard anyone come up with in the way of good reasons have involved various shades of bigotry, ignorance and religious extremism, so I'm pretty confident there's no such thing.
Dave Cahill

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Originally Answered: Are you in favor of same sex marriage, yes or no?
I am a person of faith and while I have my personal beliefs on this matter, I fail to see how that should affect the rights of others not so inclined. I don't believe in legislation of morality when it involves adults. Our personal moral choices are just that, PERSONAL. So while my religious community would never allow it within our organization. We would never lobby to keep others from doing so. We teach our members what the bible says and it is a basic tenet of our faith. But we do not campaign outside the congregation against them. It is no different than any other moral choice. We have no right to impose those views on or restrict the rights of others. If we are people of faith then we must acknowledge that each of us must answer to God for ourselves. So if two homosexuals, who do not share my beliefs, want to get married, I fail to see how that affects me. My responsibility as a true Christian is to show love to everyone and not to be their judge. Just because we don't agree with someones view, doesn't give us the right to restrict their view. We ask the same consideration and to share (not impose) those beliefs with those who want to learn them.
Tim Hinds


Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Originally Answered: Are you in favor of same sex marriage, yes or no?
Absolutely, unequivocally and forever.

People who love each other should be able to get married regardless of gender. My gay friends and family have amazing, long-term relationships - often more healthy than those of my heterosexual friends and family - and they should be able to marry so that they can reap the benefits bestowed on married couples such as allowing one partner visit the other in a hospital setting.

I don’t understand why this is so offensive to some people, but I am still going to disable comments because I just don’t want to battle the trolls today or any day.
Mary C. Gignilliat

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

I don’t know what this has to do with feminism, which is what my session is about, but I’ll answer it.
Of course I support same-sex marriage!

Why?
Marriage between straight people is fine, so why shouldn’t marriage between people of the same sex be fine?
The only thing that is different is the gender of one of the people getting married. And that shouldn’t even matter.
People are people.
You love each other? You’re ready to commit to a life together? Then, by all means, get married.
Stella Chen


Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?
Yes.
There are many legal benefits of being married that is not available in registered partnerships or just living together. If same-sex couples can’t get the same level of legal protection and benefits as opposed-sex couples, then homosexuals are second class citizens. That’s simply not acceptable.
In addition, same-sex marriage doesn’t harm or affect me (I’m straight), or you, or society, in any way what so ever. Someone else’s marriage does not affect the sanctity of your marriage. There’s no reason to stand in the way of same-sex marriages, except wanting to keep LGBT second class citizens.
Krister Sundelin

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

No! Because... um, because... someone I grew up with also thought it was bad? There's a book somewhere that says it's wrong? I'm sure I can find a reason, if I just defer to childhood authority figures enough...
What impresses me about the discussion here is that probably not one of the people who support gay marriage grew up hearing it was OK. We've all heard the evidence, and let it sway us. While pretty much everyone against it just stuck with the status quo. Progress!
Fred Feinberg

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

In a nation founded upon the principle of liberty, everything is legal unless it is prohibited by law. The state has to have a compelling reason to deny the people their rights; and this is especially true when it denies those rights to some of the population and not all of it. Typical compelling reasons are national security and public safety.
As there are no compelling state reasons to deny gay people the right to marry, it follows that it must be permitted.
Ernest W. Adams

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

1. There is no rational, secular argument against it.
We do not ( Thank God, pun intended) live in a theocracy.
2.  I believe in equality under the law
3. I believe if we can let groups with money and influence try and dictate what rights they're going to let others have , that we have to think: that could happen to me.
4. Gay people follow laws, pay taxes, some serve in the military. It is immoral and UnAmerican to give people a separate " coach level" class of rights
5. Because what is so flipping unique about my marraige, the life I have built with my husband, that I should have this right, but my fellow Americans should not?
25 years ago, I met and fell in love with Mr. Buckie in Windsor, Ontario. In order for him to move here , so we could build our life together, we got a fiancé visa that allowed him to work in his country.
If my Stephen were my Stephanie, I would not have had that right. That is patently wrong.
So, right now, if we tell our kids about the 2 countries that are a part of their heritage, how they are different, both with strong and weak points , I'd have to say: " E and J, in many provinces of Canada , gay people have had more rights and dignities for over a decade, and here we are in the US, having millions of dollars dumped into political campaigns to prevent people  from being equal"
"In fact, in Ontario, where Grandma and Grandad live , the Premier is gay. And it's not a big deal. But in the US, it's a big deal. "
http://metronews.ca/news/toronto...
In the end, I know The US can do better, and I'm frankly ashamed that we are still having this conversation.  Yes, I said it. When it comes to this issue, I am embarrassed of our country.
Marcia Peterson Buckie

Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

Yes, beacause love is love and I'm no one to separate two people who want to get married. I don't care what race, sex, or religion you are, if you're not causing harm to me and my personal life, I have no reason not to support your love.
Virali Modi




Do you support same-sex marriage? Why?

We, as a society, already have three working definitions of, "marriage.":
1).  Traditional definition:  together in the sight of God until death parts you
2).  Legal definition:   together in the eyes of the law until legally separated.
3).  Common-law definition:  together by reason of shared address.
It would be hypocritical to oppose same-sex marriage on biblical grounds without also opposing all other non-biblical standards for marriage.  In short, you need stay a virgin until you are married, and stay married until one of you dies.      If you believe in divorce, you cannot stand by the traditional definition of marriage.
Speaking from a purely legal standpoint, what reason is there to bar two individuals who would otherwise be known as, "best friends," (but who secretly wish to perform sexual actions with each other) from entering a legally binding contract which unites their lives for taxation and hospital visitation purposes?   It may bother your sensibilities, but the law would have to weigh your feelings against the feelings of people who love each other and want to spend their lives together. They have stronger feelings on the matter than a vague sense of what, "should not be."
Finally, if a couple lives together for long enough, they gain the legal right to refer to themselves as, "married," under a common-law arrangement.  This sets a precedent for a different type of marriage, one in which any two people can just, "be married," because they've been together long enough.    They don't have to make an official commitment.  They don't even have to try very hard.    All they have to do is share an address.      That's a very loose definition of marriage.
I think that any society that allows divorce or common-law marriage does not have a very strong position from which to argue that marriage is anything more than a temporary legal union between two people.     Remember that the law does not accept religious grounds in its definition of what is right or wrong.   Sex outside of marriage is legal in any society that accepts it as such, and homosexual relations have been normalized by that same criterion.   If we draw a line between what is legally acceptable sexual action and what is not, then we can accept that two adult people can enter into a relationship if they choose, regardless of who they are, and we can therefore allow them to make it official.
What this means is that gay civil marriage should obviously be legal, because all the people whom this might affect want it to be legal.  Any person that does not want it to be legal would not be affected by it.
Daniel Aubrey White
 Feel free to drop your own answer and views
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I need you and you need me

We need one another. I need u and u need me. And because u need me I want to improve myself so that u can get the best of me and u need to i...